Plantae places sensors in a new crop, the asparagus from Spain , a product that we grow in many areas, Spain being the fourth largest producer country in the world. 80% of the production comes from China.
In this article we want to turn this important production around by introducing precision subsurface agriculture with sensors, to control its development, quality and quantity.
Varieties of asparagus from Spain
Asparagus varieties depend on color:
- White : because they are grown without receiving direct light. The earth forms ridges in the environment of the plant to protect it from the sun. In our country, the " white from Navarra " and the asparagus from Tudela stand out.
- Green or wild : they do receive direct light. They sprout outside and receive sunlight. The shoots or shoots , (edible part) are not protected from light and are allowed to grow more slowly.
- Violets : the purplish bud that is allowed to partially receive sunlight.
Edaphology of asparagus from Spain
The terrain: the best loam or silty-loam without ruling out the sandy loam.
Climate : it adapts very well to all climates except the very rainy ones, as in Galicia, Asturias and Santander. It favors a relative humidity of 60% to 70% for the sprouting of the shoots or edible part.
Irrigation of green asparagus:
- In the plantation: it needs moderate watering and without waterlogging, so that the root system is formed correctly. If it is excessive, the roots rot. When winter comes and after the first year of growth, the plant is cut flush. In the last phase, the irrigation must be removed.
- In the second year of growth: it needs a lot of watering, always controlled and without flooding.
- During harvesting : controlled humidity because shoots are better extracted.
Hours of light : green asparagus and purple or violet need a lot of light, which is what gives it its characteristic color.
The "whites of Navarra" are kept covered with earth to avoid color.
Plantae with precision agriculture in the asparagus of Spain
Plantae sensors offer the asparagus sector of Spain a precision agriculture of subsoil that facilitates irrigation in all its stages.
- Subsoil humidity at different depths, essential for control at each time of year.
- Subsoil temperature.
- Room temperature.
- Electrical conductivity to assess accumulation of salts .
- Flowmeter for flow measurement and assessment of possible breakdowns.
- Relative humidity control sensor coming soon. This sensor is very important because it favors the growth of the shoot or edible part.
Asparagus «white from Navarra»
Asparagus with designation of origin that is grown on the upper banks of the Ebro. They are harvested mainly in April and May, those of June already lose quality.
To meet the requirements:
- They must be whole, with lengths of 17 and 22 centimeters.
- Be healthy and free of blows.
- They also have to be clean of dirt.
- Categories: Extra, First and Second.
The asparagus of Tudela
Another important asparagus in Spain. With its production in Tudela, Valladolid, the white asparagus differs from that of Navarra in its texture, size, thickness and a little purple tip.
- Very few calories. Ideal for low-calorie diets.
- It has a lot of water and some protein.
- They also have a lot of fiber.
- They are also very diuretic.