We began the installation of probes in truffles in holm oak nurseries in which the symbiotic relationship with the fungus occurs. We place sensors to regulate humidity, conductivity and temperature. Basic factors for this mycorrhizal fungus to reproduce in holm oak roots.
Iniciamos la instalación de sondas en trufas en viveros de encina en la que se produce la relación simbiótica con el hongo. Colocamos sensors para regular la humedad, la conductividad y la temperatura. Factores básicos para que se reproduzca este hongo micorrícico en las raíces de la encina.
The need for this process in nurseries is basic for intensive plantations.
This fungus, living underground, cannot move for its reproduction, it depends on the transport of animals that dig around the tree to enjoy its flavor. We have already dedicated an article to this.
But if they want to be marketed in a more secure way, we must resort to nurseries to grow holm oaks with spores of the fungus in their roots and then be able to transplant them to the most appropriate places.
Importance of probes in truffles
At present, truffle production is being cultivated intensively, especially in Teruel and Tarragona.
The province of Teruel, which is already known with the motto "Teruel exists" due to its rural depopulation and the lack of industry, is finding an incentive in this crop. The same happens in certain areas of Tarragona.
Intensive production requires several factors:
- Suitable soil , loamy-clay-silty. We can see in the image the different shapes of the bulb and the accumulation of salts.
- Be aware of the existence of truffle in the root zone .
- Control the salinity , this guarantees that the pH is adequate and the trees will have an ideal microclimate for the reproduction of this wonderful fungus.
- Plant trees (from nurseries) that certify a high number of spores in their root ball .
- Install drip irrigation and controlled by sensors in the root zone, at different depths, to show the amplitude of the wet bulb and at the same time the conductivity of the soil.
- Drip irrigation allows applying fertilizers that are necessary if production declines because we are in intensive cultivation and the nutrients produced by the tree brush are not enough to feed these exquisite fungi.
- Control with pruning the development of the trees, so that they form canopy and shade. This, together with a controlled humidity with truffles probes, in an appropriate range and the ideal climate, increase production.
- Maintain the protected area from the entry of predatory fauna such as Wild Boars. It is not easy to avoid the existence of mice and rabbits that, although they feed on them, also help to transport the spores. But its abundance can reduce production.
- To locate the truffle, you can observe the areas without weeds in the shape of a spot and use trained dogs.
Currently the industry tries to develop machinery that detects the smell and thus not depend on the dog.