Drip irrigation is one of the best for olive groves and almond trees.
Reasons that justify it:
- Water is saved, because it passes directly to the tree and evaporation is avoided.
- It is much more regular and if there are slopes, no water is lost.
- The soil is less eroded.
- Fertilizers can be applied directly to the tree.
- Irrigation is more constant.
- Controlling humidity with humidity, conductivity and temperature sensors / probe avoids salinity.
- It can be programmed at night and evaporation is avoided.
- The whole ground does not get wet and prevents weed growth.
- It can be superficial or buried.
The main difficulty is that if irrigation is interrupted, due to drought or breakage, the tree can suffer more severe dryness, because its surroundings do not have humidity and do not offer reserves.
For this, Plantae offers the possibility of controlling it with a flow meter adapted to all pipes.
Drip irrigation in olive trees
Olive trees are traditionally dry-land, but it has been proven that irrigation at some times favors them and, depending on which variety, magnificent productions and development of the crop have been achieved. However, when applying irrigation in olive trees, certain variables must be monitored for a correct vegetative development:
- The type of soil.
- The climatology of the area.
- The density of the plantation.
- The type of olive tree: nothing to do with the irrigation cycle for a cornicabra olive tree in the Los Navalmorales area like a super intensive Arbequina olive tree in Córdoba.
Irrigation in the almond trees
The almond tree needs a lot of water in spring, summer and early fall. Watering after harvest is also very important. This influences the number of flowers the following year and therefore the fruit.
Drip irrigation is advised by:
- Establish a frequency that depends on the weather.
- Assess the amount, which depends on the type of soil.
- Take care that there are no puddles, they are very unfavorable to you. It is important to assess the amount of water that is supplied.
If it is also controlled by humidity and temperature sensors that ensure that the plant has the water it needs, the quality and production increases considerably.
Some references to this information come from: