We have already dedicated an article to cultivation hydroponic , today we are going to focus on controlling hydroponic irrigation with probes.
Regardless of the cultivation system used, with roots in the air or on rock wool or coconut fiber support, irrigation is the fundamental basis of production results.
We can use different types of irrigation:
- Spraying by sprinkling.
- Drip irrigation.
- By channeling of trays.
In any case, the plant receives the water and nutrients from the irrigation system.
The root system can be in direct contact with water and nutrients or on a support made of coconut fiber or rock wool. If it is on a stand, humidity control by probes is very important to save water and energy and improve production.
Importance of using probes (sensors) with hydroponic irrigation
To obtain good results in this type of crops, one of the most important factors is irrigation control. Use the appropriate water, low in salts and keep the installation controlled.
When working without soil, humidity control and conductivity become essential.
- The humidity probe : controls the need for water at all times and in real time. Avoid the water stress of the plant. We provide the crop with the water it needs and when it needs it. Rock wool and coconut fiber retain moisture well but should not exceed 80%. The probe allows us to have a constant and adequate humidity.
- Conductivity sensors : they measure the conductive tendency in such a way that they indicate the accumulation of salts at all times. This combined with pH measurements with litmus tapes, tell us if we should add fertilizer or salinity and sodium correctors. It is one of the most important factors in hydroponic cultivation. If the plant has excess salinity it does not absorb the adequate nutrients. The type of water greatly influences the accumulation of salts.
- Temperature sensors : their control allows us to assess the state of the roots, the risk of diseases such as fungi, etc. In addition, the temperature of the nutrient solution must be slightly higher than that of the environment.
The probes therefore allow the measurement of pH, salinity, luminosity, temperature and oxygen. The more controlled everything is, the better for the quantity and quality of production.
Hydroponic irrigation sensors / probes can take readings every two minutes.
Advantages of optimized irrigation in hydroponics with probes (smart sensors)
- The most important thing is the quality of the crop.
- Avoid diseases.
- Save water and energy.
- This type of cultivation in principle has strong investments. With proper use of smart and wireless technology, we save time and money.
- Get an increase in production.
- It is clean and very ecological, as long as the right fertilizers are used.
More information in: