Drip irrigation of vineyards controlled with sensors is already a reality in many Spanish provinces.
The irrigation of vineyards For this reason we are going to dedicate an article to the ideal way to water the vineyards at different times of the year and the advantages of using humidity and temperature sensors Plantae to control drip and controlled with sensors is already a reality in a lot of Spanish provinces.
Sensor / probe controlled vineyard irrigation
Optimizing the water is essential, but achieving efficient and quality irrigation of vineyards is a priority so that the fruit is excellent and the wine extraordinary.
Phase 1 : from the appearance of the vine shoots until flowering.
In this phase there are three factors that we have to take into account:
- Uniform shoot growth . This is a sign that the plant is under controlled irrigation. If it suffers water stress in this phase, the shoots show it with an irregular growth.
- We must observe the presence of tender and long tendrils . The lack of tendrils or their dryness indicates that the plant is suffering from water stress and slow or stopped growth.
- The development of the roots , essential for the health of the plant throughout its development. In drip irrigation systems the roots are concentrated near the wet bulb. In plantations without irrigation they spread more looking for humidity.
The sensors applied to the irrigation of vineyards, both measuring humidity and temperature, tell us in real time if the plant has the water it needs and from our mobile or tablet we can control it avoiding travel and saving water and energy. The irrigation application depends on the accumulation of rainwater and therefore according to the measurements we apply more or less water.
Phase 2: from flowering to ripening or ripening of the grape.
- At this point it is very important to control the watering, because an excess causes the branches to grow too much and the leaves cover the fruit excessively and impair ripening.
- It also affects the size of the fruit. An excess causes the grape to grow too much and lose quality. The adequate amount of water is very important in this phase.
- Drought is also detrimental, because the fruit does not develop properly before ripening or ripening. Water stress seriously impairs grape harvest and growth.
Phase 3: from the veraison or ripening of the grapes until the harvest is collected.
- The berries or clusters stop growing to mature. Now they need very little water. Too much will cause cracking in the grape. The amount of potassium that affects the acidity of the wines is also altered.
- On the other hand, the plant begins the decline in growth and prepares for the winter rest.
Phase 4: from harvest harvest to vine dormancy
- At this point, an increase in water is important, but not as great as in the first phase, so that the roots expand and the plant becomes stronger with a view to the next production.
- Moisture is also desirable to protect the roots from the winter cold.
Irrigation scheme of vineyard irrigation
Installation of sensors in vineyard irrigation
The introduction of irrigation in vineyards is something that is increasing throughout the Peninsula, because quality is increasingly being cared for. For something we have a country with a large number of wines with denomination of origin as we have already commented.
That is why, in order to achieve maximum quality and savings, we are increasingly betting on our technology, as is the case of the Ciudad Real vineyards that this article illustrates.
- In the first place we do a study of the farm, measurements, type of terrain that influences the type of wet bulb as we already indicated in other articles.
- We also study which is the best point to place the Hub-receiver, so that it collects the signals from all the sensors. Normally it goes with solar panel, except that the owner has a point of light in the place of the location.
- Once these studies are done, sometimes accompanied by satellite images, we proceed to install the sensors in the irrigation of vineyards.
- Finally, we check its operation and teach the owner how to handle the data.