Intensive and super-intensive plantations grow every year in Extremadura, especially in irrigated areas. The climatic conditions of the area make it essential to control irrigation with moisture SENSORS in irrigation of almond trees and other agricultural crops.
Plantae is dedicated to the design, development and commercialization of sensor technology Smart and wireless agricultural (probes) to save water and improve the quality and quantity of crops.
It also offers the possibility of installing a flow meter and a weather station.
What are humidity sensors in almond trees?
They are smart sensors (probes) that measure different factors that directly influence the cultivation of the almond, they emit signals to a receiver that in turn sends it to the platform. The farmer can see on his tablet or mobile the graphs that help him in making decisions when it comes to increasing or decreasing the irrigation water or modifying the acidity or salinity of the subsoil.
These measurements become more essential in intensive and super-intensive plantations, because the accumulation of plants causes them to absorb more nutrients from the soil, at the same time that irrigation and therefore the accumulation of salts is increased, especially if there is a lot of evaporation.
Factors to take into account in Extremadura to grow intensive and superintensive almond trees
- In Extremadura it is not very frequent that late frosts appear.
- The climate in this is favorable to the cultivation of the almond tree. Due to the short winters, the almond tree blooms early, in some areas at the end of January as we will see later. At other points in February.
- This early spring requires controlled watering at the end of winter and at the time of flowering and fruit formation.
- The almond tree adapts well to the hot hours of Extremadura.
- In spring the temperature can be somewhat high and increase evaporation, negatively influencing the formation of the fruit if we do not control it.
- We must add the water to the almond tree in the months of development and growth of the fruit.
- The humidity and temperature meters soil make irrigation controlled in real time.
- They can appear in the months of March and April, if they are very abundant, they harm pollination and reduce the fruit.
- With a rain gauge we can assess the amount of rainwater and then regulate the need for irrigation.
Hours of heat.
- It is one of the most favorable factors in Extremadura, for the production of almonds, it meets the necessary heat hours exceeding 1200, which are the minimum that it must have to comply with the thermal integral that goes from the appearance of swollen buds to harvest . This favors an advance in the collection of the almond and prevents it from being damaged by the autumn rains.
- To avoid the water stress of the plant we must measure the humidity of the soil and thus avoid the closure of stomata if the temperatures are high.
The cold hours.
- They are also guaranteed with a minimum of 200 and without being excessive.
- Flowering for this reason, as we already indicated, is early beginning at the end of the winter period.
The terrain is ideal.
- It ranges from sandy loam to loamy. In some points clay loam.
- The water seeps a lot the more sandy it is and that increases the need for irrigation.
- The wet bulb is going to be longer. If you have a shortage of water this influences the root system of the plant. If the roots remain small, the crown of the almond tree will not reach the desired dimensions.
The new intensive plantations
The water needs of the almond tree increase considerably with the accumulation of trees in less land. The necessary increase in irrigation also increases the risk of <a
The salts have a negative influence on the formation of the fruit. If the almond tree has excess salts around its wet bulb, its production is considerably altered because it does not receive the nutrients properly since the soil compacts.
Moisture sensors in almond trees
For a good production of almond in quantity and quality, the most important thing is to install an irrigation system with humidity sensors that control the subsoil of the almond tree, which are also wireless and can be controlled in real time from the mobile or tablet.
Solutions offered by Plantae:
Soil Moisture Sensors-Smart Agricultural Probes
In a dry climate like Extremadura, the amount of almonds is in direct proportion to the water it receives.
Throughout the spring if you don't have enough rainwater, we have to supply your needs with controlled irrigation . It is convenient to measure the amount of rainwater with the rain gauge . The time of greatest need for water is during fruit formation , from February to June.
In summer you should reduce watering, to promote maturation, but preventing the stomata from closing.
When autumn arrives we need to increase watering a little compared to summer because that way the next cycle is favored.
In winter watering is not necessary for it to have winter rest.
controlled irrigation also influences the formation of branches which in turn indicate the root development that is proportional to the crown of the almond tree. When the glass reaches its fullness, perspiration also increases and we must take this into account in the water supply.
Importance of real-time control : water stress affects both bud formation and flowering and fruit development. The plant has to have the humidity it needs at all times and when it needs it.
The sensors are placed at two or three different depths, depending on the root system of the tree. In this way we control the humidity of the wet bulb around the roots.
Conductivity sensor (probe).
drip irrigation can cause salinity problems if irrigation is not adequate. Plantae probes control the conductivity that indicates the amount of salts in the subsoil, helping in real time that they can be corrected with products or washes. The salinity is influenced by evaporation, which is higher as temperatures increase. The evaporated water does not carry salts and for this reason they accumulate around the wet bulb and the surface area.
The flow meter helps us to assess whether the irrigation is scheduled or has had a fault.
The most indicated irrigation is drip. It can be superficial or buried. If it is very stony it is not easy to make a buried drip. The superficial has the disadvantage of hindering the work.
PlantaeAGRO advises you on humidity sensors and all kinds of probes
Plantae offers control of humidity, subsoil temperature and conductivity, in addition to the possibility of installing a Meteo station to count the cold hours and the integral thermal.
All wireless and controlled with a Hub / receiver with solar panel.
In addition PlantaeAGRO advises at all times on the handling and reading of the variables that we receive on our mobile or tablet.
Photos of irrigation with humidity sensors (probes) in almond trees of Badajoz-Intensive plantations.
Routes of the almond blossom in Extremadura
An interesting excursion in winter is to visit the intensive almond trees in bloom.
- From Fuente del Maestre to Villalba de los Barros , the entire first half of February. Without a doubt some very pleasant and positive trips to take beautiful family photos.
- From Puebla de la Calzada to Valdecalzada in mid-February and early March, where we can also enjoy the festival of San José adorned with flowers in March.
- From Vegas del Guadiana to Don Benito , another special route in February.
- In Garrovillas de Alconétar with winter festivities for the almond blossom with festivities in early March.