Plantae is going to dedicate several articles to the study of agricultural irrigation, the irrigation system and its importance, the different types of irrigation that are appropriate in each case and what is most convenient for each field and crop.
Importance of having a good irrigation system
When we consider the need to install an irrigation system we must take into account many factors:
- First of all know the quality of the water.
- Also, how much water is available we have the possibility of reaching the crops and if the excess can be reused.
- Quantify how much is economically lost with each cubic meter of water that is not used well.
- Plan how much land can be irrigated if the available water is used well.
- Make a budget that tells us if irrigation is economically and technically sustainable.
Other factors to consider are:
- The type of terrain . A clay soil is not the same as a sandy or silty one when watering. The texture influences the amount of water and air it retains.
- The weather . Hot climates influence evaporation and require increased water.
- The type of crop . Especially take into account those sensitive to waterlogging and their phenology. It also affects perspiration.
- Root system of the crop . The wet bulb varies according to the depth of the roots and therefore the amount of watering.
- The topography of the terrain . Slopes and density of the crop.
- The surface to be irrigated.
The scheme shows how the irrigation water settles according to the type of terrain, influencing the root system of the plant and its absorption.
Advantages of having a better efficiency in the irrigation system
- Save water as a good of all.
- Get the greater number of irrigators to manage the available water.
- Achieve participation of all irrigators in efficient water management.
- Keep the facilities , basins or ditches in good condition, to avoid water losses and have more available.
- Promote the environment from all areas, taking care that salts do not accumulate due to excessive irrigation and valuing natural resources.
- With exhaustive care, promote the quality and quantity of the crop .
- Assess whether night or day watering , depending on The time of year. In summer it is better at night due to evaporation.
- Favor the water footprint with the responsible use of water.
Irrigation systems with humidity sensors
After seeing the advantages of having a good irrigation system, the best we can do to perfect it to the maximum is to install wireless humidity sensors like those offered by Plantae.
The probes that we offer can control the system both in flow and in the need for irrigation of the crop.
You no longer have to water by eye. We can control the humidity, temperature and conductivity in the subsoil.
If to all this we add the control of the pH of the water, we will achieve the perfect irrigation.
Characteristics of the waters in any irrigation system
We must know the characteristics of the water we have. Both in quantity and quality.
For the issue of quantities we must go to the authority of the hydrographic basin to inform us on this point, as well as a contracted installer to confirm the possibilities of our supply point.
Another possibility is to have wells, rain reservoirs or irrigation canals.
Regarding the issue of quality, it is best to send a sample of the available water to be analyzed by a laboratory, so that they issue us an analysis bulletin, as well as a report with the explanation of the bulletin.
Types of water
- The relationship between sodium, calcium and magnesium.
Objectives of Plantae
In addition to explaining in detail everything related to irrigation systems in future articles, we will also dedicate others to the intelligent irrigation of humidity, conductivity and soil temperature of each crop.
Right now they are available to all our followers:
- Wireless Sensors / Best for Avocado Irrigation / Precision Agriculture.
- Truffle probes- CONTROLLED IRRIGATION-humidity, conductivity and temperature.
- Agricultural sensors / probes in olive trees in Spain / controlled irrigation.
- Bonsai and much better sensor controlled irrigation.
- The pomegranate in Spain, irrigation controlled with sensors / probe.
- Sensor-controlled relative humidity in all crops.
- Agricultural irrigation water-Parameters to take into account-Accumulation of salts- (II)
- Irrigation by LAYING- (The best for meadows) -Types of surface irrigation- (III)
- Furrow irrigation-The BEST for horticultural crops-Types of surface irrigation (IV)
- Sprinkler Irrigation-THE BEST TECHNICAL OR PRESSURIZED IRRIGATION WITH SENSORS- (V)
- Drip Irrigation-The best controlled with probes, surface or buried- (VI)
- Irrigation in hydroponics- Better with probes (smart sensors) (VII)
- Night irrigation or daytime irrigation-Factors that influence and favor the crop
- Irrigation with Plantae sensors / probes throughout the Peninsula- (100% optimal)
You can find more information at: Sensors / agricultural probes