Broccoli and cauliflower are varieties of cabbage that require special care in terms of irrigation and we are going to deal with it in detail.
Broccoli and cauliflower cultivation
They are vegetables that come from the same botanical variety, with different shapes and colours. Romanesco also belongs to the same variety, which has a special pyramidal shape.
The three vegetables need:
- A temperate climate on the cold side.
- Soils with a loamy-sandy texture so that they do not accumulate excess water.
- They are usually planted in furrows.
- Drip, surface or buried irrigation is convenient.
- The plants are transplanted from the seedbed.
- At the time of planting, the soil should be moist but not waterlogged.
- Keeping the plantation free of weeds negatively affects plant growth because it removes nutrients and moisture.
- The weeds that we remove can remain on top of the furrows and help maintain moisture while disintegrating and nourishing the soil.
- Growth of the plant: from its planting, which is usually in the waning phase of the moon, so that the sap more easily descends to the roots, producing only leaves.
- Floral induction begins in the center of the plant, forming a primary inflorescence. This occurs in the cold season. The leaves are now smaller.
- The formation of fleshy pellets or flowers begins, which are the edible part of the plant. In Romanesque they form a helical sequence that follows the golden curve.
- The flowers appear.
- The fruits of the fertilized flowers sprout and with them the seeds.
Irrigation of broccoli and cauliflower
- In the growth phase it needs constant humidity without waterlogging
- When the pellets are formed and during flowering, it should be reduced, but without reaching a lack of moisture.
With controlled irrigation with soil humidity and temperature agricultural sensors and probes we can control the need for water in all phases and avoid salinity to which they are moderately sensitive.
They are very sensitive to changes in temperature and water stress, which is why the control offered by agricultural sensors in real time is very important.