Plant nurseries are those facilities or structures designed to grow trees and young plants. In plant nurseries plant cycles go from sowing to transplant, which includes: planting, germination, maturation and hardening of plants. It is frequently attributed to plant nurseries the propagation of species for their posterior selling to agricultural producers.
The different types of plant nurseries canbe divided according to the plants they house, resulting in three main groups:
- Agricultural: widely extended, their main function is to produce fruit trees such as almendros, pistachos, olivos, limoneros, albaricoque…
- Ornametal: those nurseries dedicated to the production of species to be used in gardening fundamentalmente.
- Forestry: forestry nurseries are dedicated to produce trees destined for repopulation.
There are also three main areas in a plant nursery. First, there is the planting zone where there is a storage room where sowing takes places, either with seeds or vegetative propagation (cuttings). Then there is the production greenhouse where germinated seeds are placed and kept in the proper moisture and temperature conditions for the plant's development. Lastly, there is the acclimation zone where young plants become adapted to the field's condition in preparation for transplant.
Plantae in Plant Nurseries
What does Plantae contribute to plant nurseries?
Plant nurseries grow crops in their most delicate moment. Seedlings recently germinated are extremely sensitive to the surrounding conditions it is subjected to during maturation. The control of the different parameters is esential to ensure a correct adaptation of the plant to the productive system. Moreover, it requires a personalised control of each stage of the nursery because the seedling has to evolve from a warm germination storage until the field's conditions.
Apart from that, those transplants made as bare root are critical, making it fundamental a correct treatment of the seedling to ensure it will endure the process. Consequently, decisions made at the plant nursery will have a repercussion in the plant's production and there needs to be little margin of error.
At Plantae, we are aware that these decisions involve a critical moment in the design of the productive plan, therefore we offer the necessary tools to guide the irrigation management towards the optimum point. The Plantae station's readings provide with the necessary data on which to base the irrigation program. Each reading has its function:
- Humidity:change the irrigation cycles based on each reading to give the crops the exact water it needs: quantity, frequency, duration
- Conductivity:keep the soil's salinity levels below the detrimental thresholds for the crops.
- Temperature:: actuación frente a heladas y control de otros parámetros (plagas, fenología…).
- Subsoil temperature:control of the soil's temperature and correlation with the surface temperature.
- Flowmeter: irrigation monitoring, irrigators control, incidence localisation...
All the stations are adapted to the soil type and reading depth relevant in each case, they can also be installed in any type of pot or planter. Also, always accompanied by the support and follow-up of a team of agricultural technicians and engineers that adjust the reading ranges, analyze the soil and provide counseling monthly while accompanying you towards the optimisation of resources and increase of productivity.